Sunday 9 September 2012

Robot Boy Mk1

After many run ups and approaches, I've finally gone and built Robot Boy mk1.  Starting with acorns etc. so it doesn't do much yet.  Here's a video:


This is based on an Ardunio Uno, an Adafruit motor shield and the Maker 4WD chassis.

The shield arrives as a bag of components which gave me some much needed soldering practice.  All done and I plugged in some power and a green light came on.  Result!

A week later, I wired in the motors, knocked up a quick sketch for the Ardunio and crossed my fingers.   Rather alarmingly, this time when I gave the shield power no green light.  Somehow I had borked the shield in the intervening week - all it was doing was sitting on a shelf in that time!?!?!  But no, it all worked first time, looks like just a dodgy green LED.

Anyway, this is it so far.  It's supposed to turn a tight square but because some of the motor axles are bit off, it's a bit creative with it's angles.   But I'm pleased with my first version, mainly because my soldering seems to have been OK first time round.

So, what's next?  Some wireless I think.  I'd like an RC mode from a browser.

No comments:

Post a Comment